The history of the company dates back to 1911, plants were established in Sochaczew, owned by the Belgian company “Socié té anonyme belge des Soies artificielles de Sokhatcheff, é tablie a Bruxelles”. December 19, 1911, the company was officially registered under the name “Belgijskie Towarzystwo Sochaczewskiej Fabryki Sztucznego Jedwabiu”.
The factory never reached a final design, since the First World War stopped the investment, and military operations caused a complete destruction of part of the plant that was already built. After the First World War the company started reconstruction of the factory under the name Belgijska Spółka Akcyjna Zakłady Przemysłowe w Boryszewie, which was aimed at the production of gunpowder. Ethyl alcohol was required for its manufacturing, that the factory started to manufacture in 1921.
In 1922, difficult financial situation of the company forced the management board to sell part of the shares to a French-Polish syndicate “Pocisk” in Warsaw. From this date begins the production of training and hunting gunpowder for small arms and guns.
In 1932 the company started manufacturing dental cements based on the license of the German company Ascher. “Borygo” dental cements for many years have been known for high quality, as evidenced by the fact that the factory in Sochaczew manufactured it until 1950. In the thirties, the company also launched the production of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
September 1, 1939, a new department was created for the production of gunpowder, which on September 5 was closed as per order of the Ministry of Military Affairs; the crew and equipment was sent to the gunpowder factory in Pionki. A week later, the factory was taken over by the German occupation forces and turned into a prisoner-of-war camp.
After the military operations ended in January 1945, the reconstruction of the factory starts. The production of dental cements and pharmaceuticals was recommenced, and instead of gunpowder the plant started to manufacture anaesthetic ether, amyl alcohol, and cosmetic oils.
On 24 October 1947, the factory was taken over by the Central Board of Chemical Industry, and then became part of the Union of Dry Distillation of Wood Plants. This involved the launch of hydraulic and anti-freeze fluid production for vehicle radiators, and technical lactic acid, while ethyl alcohol was no longer manufactured.
In 1950, the factory changed its name to Zakłady Farmaceutyczne BORYSZEW and was acquired by the Central Board of Pharmaceutical Industry. The fifties were a period of a very intensive development of the plant.
It was the time when the production of PVC floor tiles, solvents, metal stearates, latex adhesive, and polyacetate adhesives was launched.
Pharmaceuticals, dental cements, and cosmetic oils production was ceased.
During this period the direction of the development of the company was driven by the ability to acquire production equipment.
After the company changed its name in 1971 to Zakłady Tworzyw Sztucznych BORYSZEW – ERG and its acquisition by the Plastics Industry Union ERG, there has been a rapid growth of the plastics processing industry. Range of products expanded along with the rapid development of the company.
1992 – 1996
In 1992, as a result of privatisation of the state-owned company BORYSZEW ERG, joint-stock company BORYSZEW S.A. was established with 100% share of private capital. Since May 1996, the shares of Boryszew S.A. are publicly traded on the Stock Exchange.
In 1999, Boryszew offering a wide range of products, acquired a strategic investor – Mr. Roman Karkosik. New shareholder initiated a dynamic development of the company. Acquisition of manufacturing companies in the industry combined with their restructuring, mergers, and organic sales growth within the Group, contributed to the significant improvement of financial results that the investors appreciated through the growth of share price on the Stock Exchange. Within a few years BORYSZEW became one of the largest Chemical Groups in Poland.
In 2005, Boryszew S.A. merged with two large companies – a manufacturer of polyesters, Elana S.A. in Toruń, and Huta Oława S.A., a manufacturer of zinc and lead oxides. Since December 2005, the production plant in Sochaczew operated as Boryszew S.A. Boryszew Branch in Sochaczew.
In July 2007, it was decided to separate the activity of Boryszew Branch in the form of a new joint-stock company. On 23 July 2007, Joint Stock Company was established under the name of Boryszew ERG S.A. in the organization whose 100% of shares is owned by Boryszew S.A. On 31 August 2007, the asset of Boryszew Branch was brought in-kind to the new company.
In December 2013, the companies remerged. Since then, the production plant in Sochaczew is the branch of Boryszew S.A.